Earlier today, as I sat on the couch drinking a Dr. Pepper and eating some taco flavored Doritos, I began to notice that about every other commercial was some kind of over the counter medication.
GasX, Tums, Viagra or something similar. I started wondering if people had the same types of issues in the 1800's and earlier.
It made me think of a conversation I had with my doctor several years ago. My cholesterol was way out of whack, so he put me on what he called the "caveman diet". He explained to me that cavemen didn't have cholsterol problems or cancer or any of the other common maladys we have these days. They were bigger, stronger and faster than modern man. He said it wasn't until we became farmers instead of hunter/gatherers that we had the health problems we are experiencing in modern days.
Believe it or not, my cholesterol dropped about 70 points in no time. I felt much better.
I'm sure my numbers are way out of whack again, and I should probably do something about it before it kills me.
Can you imagine a world without Tums or Tylenol? I can't, not when our fast paced lifestyles make it easier to eat at McDonald's than cook a healthier alternative at home. Eating healthy is a lot of work and requires more time and planning than most of us have available. But through the miracles of modern science, we can have bypass surgery and all kinds of medication and still keep eating the crap that causes us to need the surgery and medication. Seems a little counter productive when you think about it.
I'm not preaching, believe me, I'm as bad as the next guy. But as I inch closer to the 50 year mark, like many people, I start to wonder how much time I have left. Death isn't what worries me, it's what sort of quality of life will I have in my older years? I don't want to spend my last days, weeks or years sick. I guess I should start doing something one of these days...
No comments:
Post a Comment